Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut

almonds2

Happy National Nut Day!

No, I’m not nuts. These little nutritional wonders actually have their own day dedicated to them.

I eat nuts almost everyday. They’re an easy topping on oatmeal, greek yogurt, or to pack by themselves as a snack when I’m on the go. I’m especially nuts for almonds, walnuts, and cashews. I can’t get enough of them!

Nuts such as almonds, cashews, and pistachios are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein.

Walnuts in particular, are especially good for your heart as they contain alpha linoleic acid (ALA), which helps with heart arrythmias. Walnuts also decrease inflammation and oxidation in the arteries after consuming a fatty meal.

Almonds (among other nuts) are a great source of Vitamin E as well. Vitamin E acts as an antioxidant in the body by maintaining cell membranes and protecting them from oxidative stress. Vitamin E also inhibits blood clotting, which reduces the possibility for a heart attack or stroke.

A study from the British Journal of Nutrition looked at the potential antioxidant role in nuts to reduce oxidative stress. This study found that there was a reduction in the number of deaths associated with cardiovascular and coronary heart disease with a diet high in nut (and peanut butter) consumption. Wow!

Hopefully this post didn’t drive you nuts! Ok, I’m done with the terrible jokes.

Happy Snacking!

10 Responses to Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut

1. Erika says:

I love almonds and snack on them all the time…especially the fun flavors!

2. Erin @ The Almond Eater says:

It’s National Nut Day??!!! What kind of terrible almond fan am I? Oh well….I love them and always will. Thanks for the informative posts as always!

• Kathryn says:

Oh don’t worry, I came across a website the other day that lists all the “national” food days and I was amazed at all the different ones! I’m pretty sure almonds have their own day (not sure when) but today they are grouped in the whole “nut” category. I don’t know who came up with these national food holidays but I really need to thank them!

3. Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog says:

I had no idea there was such a thing as National Nut Day - how fun! I almost always have almonds in my desk at work for a quick, healthy snack.

• Kathryn says:

Almonds are my favorite! I love buying big bags of different kinds of nuts and mixing them with dried fruit and creating my own trail mix. Such a satisfying yet healthy snack!

4. Pingback: 295/365: National Nut Day | Eat My Words

5. Leigha @ Minougirl says:

I can’t believe I used to not like nuts. Crazy kid!

• Kathryn says:

I never liked them when I was little either! When my mom would make zucchini bread I used to have to beg her to make it without walnuts. My how times have changed!

6. Brittany @ The Fit Phoenician says:

I am nutz for nuts! I watch my daily intake though because they are dense!
    Do you ever watch the talk show The Chew? They did an episode on nuts!!